Best Rat Repellent is the most humane way to get rid of rats, mice, and other types of rodents. Read on to learn more about rat and mouse repellents.
Whether you know or not rats, mice, etc. are smart species with strong instincts. So you need to place a better pest controlled to lessen browsing and all the destruction they cause. However, you can use repellent as the only pest control or combine with other rat traps, baits to remove pest problem from an area.
- 1 Our Top 5 Picks of Best Mouse Repellents
- 2 10 Best Rat Repellent Reviews
- 2.1 Triple Action Rodent Repellent *GM-X Mouse Rat Repellent Ultrasonic
- 2.2 Eco-Defense Mice Repellent – Organic Spray
- 2.3 Peppermint Essential Oil 4 oz. Essentially KateS.
- 2.4 Ultrasonic Pest Repeller Humane Mice Control
- 2.5 Vehicle Protection by Exterminators Choice-Mice & Rodent Repellent
- 2.6 T3-R Triple High Impact Mice, Rat, Rodent Repeller
- 2.7 Ultrasonic Pest Repeller | Best Pest Control Ultrasonic Repellent
- 2.8 Victor Scent-Away Rodent Repeller Drops M803
- 2.9 Eco-Defense Mice Repellent Pellets – Best Mouse Trap Alternative
- 2.10 Shake-Away 5006358 Rodent Repellent Granules
- 3 How to Use Rat Repellent Effectively
Our Top 5 Picks of Best Mouse Repellents
|Rat Repellent||Image||Editor's Rating||Brand||Type||Weight|
|Triple Action Rodent Repellent||4.0/5||Gizmomate||Ultrasonic Electric Repellent||4.8 Ounces|
|Eco Defense Mice Repellent||4.2/5||Eco Defense||Organic Spray||1 Pounds|
|Peppermint Essential Oil (Editor's Choice)||4.6/5||Essentially KateS||Peppermint Oil||7 Ounces|
|Ultrasonic Pest Repeller Humane Mice Control||4.5/5||MaxMoxie||Ultrasonic Electric Repellent||4.8 Ounces|
|Vehicle Protection by Exterminators Choice||4.3/5||Exterminators Choice||Spray||2.05 Pounds|
What is Rat Repellent?
A rat repellent is a tool that confused rats. Rats leave the smell of their urine to indicate their area for food, walking paths, burrows, nest, etc. the rat repellent spray/granules. On the other hand, rat repellents remove the smell of urine to make them confused believing they are in the wrong area.
The electric repellents work to scare them out by producing a large number of ultrasonic frequencies. The main aim of repellent is to keep the pest out from a particular area without hurting them.
Check: Best Rat Poison Here
How to Choose the Right Rat Repellent?
Look at these factors before selecting the best rat repellent. Like,
Not all repellents cover huge are strong as they work in a small area. Usually, spray or extract oil good for covering attic, kitchen cabinets. And other small places. Electric repellents offer a variety of frequency and coverage depending on what model you choose. Whatever your need, ask your seller about it or be clear from the product description.
- Time and Urgency
Depending on the type of rat repellent or rodent repellents you are selecting the working time or effect of the product also very. The less time consuming and effective repellent should work in the time of ½ to 30 sec. Other products may take hours to a week to shows its best.
- Room Size
This one goes for electronic repellents. Ultrasonic waves do not bypass furniture, walls, and any other solid objects. So, for the small less crowded room (study-room, office, etc.) a single speaker of electronic rat repellent is excellent. For a large room or a garage, etc. two speakers would be needed.
In the area you are applying the repellents should not contain any loopholes, barrier or safe zone for rodents. Before using it, examine the whole area and check if there is a need to combine multiple repellents or not. It especially comes handy on both indoors or outdoors.
- Determine the Critter
The key to choosing the best repellent is determined the rodent you have in-house or targeting. If you have roof mice and you want to get rid of squirrels too, look for something that offers both options as a repellent.
The seasons may affect which one you should choose- granular or liquid. Because, the last one does not employ in them less than 40, and granular may affect by rain or dew.
10 Best Rat Repellent Reviews
Thinking of buying the best working mice repellent? We have selected 10 Best Rat Repellent for home, car, and commercial places after one month of research. Check them out.
Triple Action Rodent Repellent *GM-X Mouse Rat Repellent Ultrasonic
Our first best ultrasonic pest repeller is the Triple Action Rodent Repellent *GM-X Mouse Rat Repellent Ultrasonic. It’s a small device but with high efficiency. You can use it anyplace like, attic, basement, backyard, patio, garage, and inside care. Compare to single ultrasonic waved devices, this one has two ultrasonic waves, and one electromagnetic wave.
These three different wave frequencies continuously vary and alternate, so home pest feel uncomfortable and flee away. It works for bugs, roaches, fleas, crickets, moths, squirrels including rats. The right side of this plug in rat repellent device is, it consumes meager power, only 15w or something. Once installed, you will see a better result within 2-3 weeks if used continuously.
- It contains two ultrasonic waves and one super-low electromagnetic wave.
- Works for mice, rats, and squirrels.
- Usable for both indoor and outdoor.
- Environment friendly.
- Safe for humans and pets.
- Low price.
- Works no more than 6 ft.
Eco-Defense Mice Repellent – Organic Spray
The Eco-Defense Mice Repellent is one of the safe and secure ways to get rid of irritating rats. The natural mouse deterrent contains peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, castor oil, soap surfactants, and water. All you need is to spray all the areas where mice mostly ran. Also, you can spray directly on mice if you see them. The rich test and smell of this natural oil will keep them well once they test.
This organic rat repellent spray is safe for humans and pets as well. The good thing is it does not give that bad unbeatable environment that you get from chemical space, bait pellets, blocks, etc. the repellent equality keeps the air refreshing. This is also one of the Best Rodent Repellent for Cars to keep your car rodents free.
- Mice never come back once test the scent deterrent.
- Works on different kinds of house mice, field mice, country mice, etc.
- Made of the most organic and natural options.
- Best for home and attics.
- Affordable price.
- Safe for human and pets.
- Need to spray often.
Peppermint Essential Oil 4 oz. Essentially KateS.
You can use Peppermint Essential Oil to control the home pest. It’s a 4-ounce bottle which fills with high-quality peppermint oil. Peppermint oil has an intense test and scent which rats, insects cannot stand. Few drops of this peppermint oil for mice is enough to flee the mice, rats, rodents from home, attic, kitchen, cupboard, etc. However, it will help to get rid of bugs from home as well.
You can use cotton balls and sprinkle some peppermint oil in it and place these inside cupboards, attic, etc. Cartoon balls can hold more smell and oil so effects high in pest control. Also, these are removable so once done; you can throw the balls away. Peppermint oil keeps away mosquito as well.
This bottle comes with a glass dropper and an e-book. The book teaches how to use the product in different ways. Peppermint oil is a natural repellent for rats, rodents, and spiders. It’s used as anti-viral, anti-fungal. So it helps to clean your home and keep every corner fresh. Overall, this is one of the best essential oils to repel mice from home and kitchen.
- Safe for humans, pets and overall environment.
- Don’t contaminate food, water, etc.
- Work to keep away the ants, bugs, spiders, etc.
- An affordable option to buy.
- Use of too much oil would create an overwhelming peppermint.
- The oil seems to dissipate in 7-8 days.
Ultrasonic Pest Repeller Humane Mice Control
Ultrasonic Pest Repeller Humane Mice and Insect repellent is a mini electric device that keeps away all kinds of rats, mice, mosquitoes, etc. Its high-frequency ultrasound effectively repeals home pests that hard to catch. This best electronic mouse repellent device is ideal for average size rooms, kitchen. Attics, garages, basement, etc.
This best electronic rat repellent is gentle than any trap or chemical baits. It uses only 2 units of power so energy efficient also. The frequency range for 1200 square ft is 20 Khz~65 kH. The exciting thing about the repeller can lighten up your path. It has a night mood so it can be used as a dim light at night.
- Works on the rodent, beg bugs, ants, and mosquitoes.
- Small size, easy to plug-in anywhere with a general electric outlet.
- Safe for use in-house with kids and pets.
- Useable into car, studio, basement, etc.
- Sometimes does not works for some types of bugs.
- Little overpriced.
Vehicle Protection by Exterminators Choice-Mice & Rodent Repellent
Rodents are wanted to nest where darkness is available most of the day. That is why they are often nesting inside the motor, bonnet, trunk, etc. of a vehicle. But they don’t stop there, they cut or chew wires, damaged tires, and if they get a chance, they can destroy the interior of a car. That is why you need something like Vehicle Protection by Exterminators Choice-Mice & Rodent Repellent Vehicle Wiring. This Best Rat Repellent for Cars is made of all-natural formulas. It contains, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, vinegar, white pepper extract, and water. All these give one strong smell which pleasant is for humans but very unpleasant for rats and wires.
Compare to that all other messy traps, and poisons this best rodent repellent for the car is a much safer option to make all rats leave your car immediately. In addition, it works for rabbits, gophers, squirrels, raccoons, and roaches too.
- Keeps away the critters away from the nesting of chewing.
- Works any vehicle that has wiring or motor.
- Contains several essential oil and extracts.
- It can be useful for a long time.
- Eco-friendly and non toxic rat repellent spray.
- Pricey product.
- The smell is strong and minty but nothing special.
T3-R Triple High Impact Mice, Rat, Rodent Repeller
Here is another best ultrasonic mouse repellent available in the market at reasonable price. The T3-R Triple High Impact Mice, Rat, Rodent Repeller for every indoor and outdoor usage. It has three speakers that maximize the ultrasound, so does the rodent-repelling results. This best electronic mouse repellent can transmit ultrasonic sounds in three different locations. This speaker does a special job to repel pests in different ways by utilizing the triple attack design and rat repellent sound.
It’s workable for rats, mice, squirrels pretty well but does not harm your cats, dogs, and kids. Infect you, or any other human cannot hear this resonant frequency as the rodents do. But for squirrels, the success rate is slightly less-75%. This rat control product is overall very durable and they offer excellent customer service for repairing, replacing, or any other help you need.
- Works for squirrels, roof rats, house rats, etc. well.
- Safe to keep around cats, dogs, kids, and humans.
- High range of ultrasound coverage filed.
- Comes with a long cord.
- Durable product.
- Costly item.
- The success rate of squirrels repelling is slightly less.
Ultrasonic Pest Repeller | Best Pest Control Ultrasonic Repellent
To control the most possible house pests here is an excellent solution for every apartment and shop owner. The Ultrasonic Pest Repeller is an easy and affordable option that works in any indoor situation. This best sonic mouse repellent is light, easy to set up, and remarkably silent. It’s safe for others but rats and mice. Lab research has proved the ultrasonic sound frequencies of this repellent attack pest’s auditory and nervous system and causing them colossal discomfort.
This device effectively covers 1300 sq.ft per unit inside a home, office, or shop. It produces high performance and multi-frequency ultrasonic waves that work on possums, squirrels, cockroaches, crickets, bees, fleas, etc.
- Comes with two ultrasonic repellers.
- Cover a large amount of indoor area.
- Works on spiders, roaches, fleas, etc. too.
- Easy to set up.
- Reasonable price.
- Not so well at working on mosquitoes as it claimed.
Victor Scent-Away Rodent Repeller Drops M803
Use a little repellent for your big rat’s mice problems. The Victor scent-away natural rodent repeller drops give a safe, hassle-free, and adequate performance to keep rodents away from your house.
Its made of 100% peppermint oil and filled in a droplet size pot. The mouth of this pot has a membrane that lep the mint sect away and helps to keep mice, rats away. Once the silver foil of this repellent is open, the layer emits an intense, minty aroma for the next 60 days.
It has a clean end-of-life indicator window so you can check that level the repellent has reached and when to replace it. This low profile design of the repeller is easy to hang, place, or stick inside different appliances and furniture. You can hang it on cabinets, keep in a drawer, or even on the lid of a trash pot.
- Usable for inside cars and machinery.
- Made of 100% natural ingredients.
- The smell is fresh and good.
- Extremely versatile.
- Cheap in price.
- The silver flap is hard to pull out.
- Need to place where rats are regularly roaming. Otherwise, the success rate of the repellent is low.
Eco-Defense Mice Repellent Pellets – Best Mouse Trap Alternative
Get Eco defense Mice Repellent pellets to keep away small to large all kinds of mice. This is not like those artificial pellet baits that genuinely kill rats. This repellent is made from many essential oils that are known for natural mice repellents. These blend of negatively charged ingredients create a unique scent that makes the rats uncomfortable. So most of them don’t come back once that test the odor of Ecodefense.
This best outdoor rat repellent is workable for house mice, deer mice, field mice, country mice, and so on. However, the product is safe for your home, pets, kids cum nature.
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
- The repellent granules last more than a year.
- Do not make any harmful elements.
- 100% safe for humans and pets.
- Good customer service.
- Not inexpensive.
Shake-Away 5006358 Rodent Repellent Granules
Last but not least. Our final rat repellent is Shake Away 5006358 rodent repellent granules. It’s a 5-pound pack with scented pellets that keeps the home pest away. You can use it both inside the home and outside near fruit trees or barn. The technique used here is a simple predator-prey relationship to scare out the rodents. All the granules have coyote’s urine smell that scares the pest thinking of coyotes are near. They will not enter the are once they get the sign of any predator’s existence.
This Shake-Away Mouse Repellent is also workable for chipmunks, voles, shrews, and other types of rats, mice. It’s non-toxic, organic, and minimizes the pest browsing problems immediately.
- Use the clever technique of predator-prey relationship by spreading smell.
- Works for rats, mice, chipmunks, voles, shrews, etc.
- Suitable to use for indoors and outdoors.
- Easy to use.
- Work for chipmunks some time but not for squirrels.
- The smell is not so pleasant.
How to Use Rat Repellent Effectively
Follow these under listed procedures to use rat repellent effectively.
- Use the best mouse repellent spray as it instructed on the bottle. Usually, it does not need as much as cats and dogs need.
- Sometimes, the increase/decrease of moisture in the air might affect a repellent or the applying amount. If its rain or dew possibility is your repellent will be less effective for rodents. If you are going to start a new repellent for the first time, choose a more dry day. Rodents are very adaptive. So it might help them to adopt a new, less strong scents on a rainy day and later on, it won’t affect them on that much.
- The trick is to choose the repellent ingredients that are different from the active ingredients of your area. Also, if anything you applied before that present in your current repellent possibility is it might not work anymore. So, choose those elements that the rodents are not too familiar with.
- If the repellent sprays do not work in your area use scare methods of electric repellents or that has a predator-prey system high-frequency waves.
- The nesting area of the rats and mice also has an impact on select of rodent repellent. If you have rodents that mostly roam in-ceiling spray repellent of essential oil treatment might less effective on that. After all, you can’t cover all the areas up there. Use granules or ultrasonic wave repellents in this area or whatever site that won’t work for that area.
Benefits of Rat Repellents
There are some advantages that you might want to switch these repellents over mouse poisons, traps, and baits. Have a look below.
- The most natural, and human way to get a rid mice eruption. A single repellent is suitable for other types of animals too.
- Rat repents mostly nontoxic, so they don’t cause death or contaminant nature.
- They are mostly easy to use and suitable for home, fields, garage, basement, office usage.
- There is a very affordable and reusable option for repellents.
- Safe for humans, toddlers, pets.
Drawbacks of Rat Repellents
Let’s talk about the ultrasonic device first. These produce sounds that deterrent to mice, rats and keeps them out from your property. The high frequency that rodents can here makes them uncomfortable. But practically it does not work for all. Some people find it useful some say it’s worthless. So there is no guaranty to get the job done to keep rodents away.
Also, these devices (not all of them) make a chirping or humming sound that might bother you or the animal around your house.
And finally, it’s not a green repellent. Yes, it does not use chemicals or any toxic ingredients to work, but it uses electricity and generally made of plastics. And these do have an impact on nature.
Our next thing is repellent spray and essential oils. These need a large amount to apply here and there especially for a large clan or in significant areas. Sometimes rats get used to it and don’t might browse around the spots where these are applied. The granules are more convenient in these cases, but again your curious pet or kid may notice and want to try it sometimes. So there is a possibility to cause the stomachache or any comfort-ability.
Rat Repellent FAQ’s
Q: Where Rat Repellent Spray Works Good?
A: Rat repellent spray works well in the home, window area, patio, kitchen, and car. You should make sure to use non-toxic spray where pets or kids move frequently. You also need to apply spray on a regular basis depending on how many days it will keep rats away. For best uses, you can check manufactures information regarding how frequently spray should reapply.
Q: Where Should I Use Ultrasonic Rat Repellent Device?
A: Ultrasonic rat repellent device can use in bedroom, kitchen, garage, or even in the garden. Before placing an ultrasonic repellent device, you need to know how much area it will cover.
Q: How Do Ultrasonic Device Works to Repel Mice and Other Rodents?
A: Ultrasonic device creates an ultrasound wave to deter mice from your area. Rodents like mice or rats have poor night vision and they depend on ultrasound waves for communication. So this type of device creates ultrasonic sound with different range of frequencies and miss-guide rodents to keep them away.
Q: Is Rat Repellent Useful in 2019 to Repel Mice?
A: Yes. Most of the rat repellent still useful to repel mice. Ultrasonic and natural repellent including spray work fine to repel mice if you applied them properly.
Q: Which Rat Repellent Method Works Good for Kitchen?
A: Natural rat repellent works well for the kitchen. As they are non-toxic, so there is nothing to worry about poison. Electronic rat repellent also works well for the kitchen if it can produce ideal ultrasonic wave frequency.
Q: Is Electric Rat Repellent Device Really Effective?
A: Yes. They are effective but you need to choose the right one as well as place it in the right area to make it effective.
Q: Is Ultrasonic/electronic Repellent Device Harmful to Human?
A: No. They create an ultrasonic sound wave which is not harmful to human.
Q: Is Catnip Useful to Repel Mice?
A: Yes. You can use Catnip as a natural mice repellent. Rat stays away from Catnip as this has a strong scent which rats don’t like.
Q: Which Rat Repellent Method Works Effectively for Car?
A: Most of the people find mouse repellent spray and ultrasonic device helpful to keep mice away from their car. So you can also use any of them. But you should apply them properly.
Q: Is Rat Repellent Spray Harmful for Pet?
A: Non-toxic and non-poisonous spray not harmful for pets or kids.
Our top voted Best Rat Repellent is Peppermint Essential Oil. This one gets the most positive reviews by its users for versatility. The best thing is, almost all the rat repellent is not harmful to any living objects or nature. Also, it comes into your budget very well.
The other reviews of rat repellents are also very handy. It depends on where and how you want to utilize them so all of these products could serve their best out of best. So, take one more close look and get the right rat repellent for your place and forget all the hassle of the home pest.
Helpful Resources for Further Reading
- Myth Busting: Rat and Mouse Repellents – Rentokil
- Rat Management Guidelines – UCANR
- TRAPPING LAWS AND REGULATIONS IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA – Ecobear
- The Efficacy of Pure Natural Repellents on Rat Responses Using Circular Open Field – ResearchGate
- Potential of Eucalyptus Oil as Repellent against House Rat, Rattus rattus – Hindawi
- DO ULTRASONIC PEST REPELLENTS REALLY WORK? – Today’s Homeowner