Finding the best mole trap and the right tunnel is important. Both of these need to be better and working to get some end results, the alive/deal Mole!
Many types and sizes of mole traps are available in the market. They work differently but their target is the same, element the moles. Either it could be a hard or soft way. This means some traps may kill the more instantly some only catch, don’t kill.
We will start with a discussion on the best mole traps, how they work, setup, safety and some other factors including some product recommendations. So keep reading.
- 1 What is the Best Mole Trap?
- 2 Top 9 Mole Trap Reviews 2021
- 2.1 1. Victor Plunger Style Mole Trap for Quick and Clean Kill 0645
- 2.2 2. Wire Tek 1001 Easy Set Mole Eliminator Trap
- 2.3 3. Tomcat Mole Trap, Protect Your Lawn with a Safe & Easy Trap
- 2.4 4. Victor Out O’Sight Mole Trap 0631 – Reusable and Weather Resistant
- 2.5 5. Underground Exterminator Mole and Gopher Killer
- 2.6 6. OxGord Live Animal Trap 32″ X 12″ X 12″ Catch Release Humane Rodent Cage
- 2.7 7. Victor 0625 the Black Box Gopher Trap
- 2.8 8. Cinch Mole Trap with Tunnel Marking Flag
- 2.9 9. Wildlife Control Supplies No-Mol Mole Trap- 4 Pack
- 3 What is Mole Trap?
- 4 How to Choose the Best Mole Traps
- 5 Final Words
What is the Best Mole Trap?
- Victor Plunger Style Mole Trap
- Wire Tek 1001 Easy Set Mole Eliminator Trap
- Tomcat Mole Trap
- Victor Out O’Sight Mole Trap
- Underground Exterminator Mole and Gopher Killer
Our Top 5 Picks of Best Mole Eliminator Trap
|Mole Trap||Image||Editor's Rating||Brand||Weight|
|Victor Plunger Style Mole Trap||4.5/5||Victor||1.76 Pounds|
|Wire Tek 1001 EasySet Mole Eliminator Trap||4.6/5||Wire Tek||3.4 Pounds|
|Tomcat Mole Trap||4.4/5||Tomcat||2.35 Pounds|
|Victor Out O'Sight Mole Trap 0631||4.5/5||Victor||1.35 Pounds|
|Underground Exterminator Mole and Gopher Killer||4.2/5||Manning Products Inc||5.6 Ounces|
Top 9 Mole Trap Reviews 2021
Here we selected 9 top-rated mole traps that you can use for sure. Some of them are less humane, some not. Check them out.
1. Victor Plunger Style Mole Trap for Quick and Clean Kill 0645
For hassle-free cleaning, you need a mole trap like Victor plunger style mole trap. This one is an easy and quick access trap for anybody to use. It’s suitable for indoor and outdoor use. The entire trap is made of steel and thinly coated with a weather guard coating. To use it you have to place the trap above the mole tunnel. Retract the handle spring at the top and place the flat piece at the ground carefully.
The trap needs to raise enough to catch the trigger arm, which is vertical to the plat part. This flat part pushes on the molehill when the moles push it up. The flat part releases the vertical arm trigger, and the plunger comes down with spikes to kill. The trap is 4.3×5.5×14.1 inches in size and weighs 1.76 lbs. Check/set the safety pin to prevent any false firing.
- Comes fully assembled.
- Weather resistant so does not wear out quickly.
- Includes a safety clip for secure operation.
- Usable in all types of soil.
- Easy to clean.
- This one is a little shorter than the older version.
- Small size trap is miss old moles.
2. Wire Tek 1001 Easy Set Mole Eliminator Trap
If you are looking for an environment-friendly option for reducing mole from your house, then Wire Tek Mole Trap 1001 is a great option to consider. Firstly you can set it anywhere around your home, lawn, garden, etc. the trap can be placed into the mole tunnel without any digging or setting cable, clamps, spears, etc. all you need to set the trap and trigger the mechanism. When the more travels through the tunnel it will push up on the collapsed portion of the shaft where the trap is set. As soon as they trigger the trap, they instantly meet killer spike and die.
The Easy set mole trap is safe and easy to set and effective also. Its 4x5x6 in size and weighs around 3.4 lbs. It’s kind of heavy than the first one but efficient for outdoor use. Infect it’s so much better than the chemical or poison traps
- You can set it without digging.
- Solid construction.
- Easy and safe to set up.
- Perfect for using organic farms, rancher, and nurseries.
- Not so well for sandy soil.
3. Tomcat Mole Trap, Protect Your Lawn with a Safe & Easy Trap
Moles are huge problems, especially in the countryside. That is why there is an easy solution for your complicated situations, the Tomcat Mole Trap. The trap is efficient when it comes to catching big size moles. All you need is to find a long tunnel where the mole moves mostly. Set the trap in the center lane. You can set it up near the wavy feeder where the moles stop for food or find it near the spot.
The good thing is the trap kills moles without creating a mess. The moles kill by the killer spikes wasting less blood. Infect its safer to use than the traditional mole killer. But the thing is, even with a simple look and settings system; it feels a little complicated to set up successfully. You will figurant soon as if you have experience with dealing with the mole traps.
- Slaughter’s mole very efficiently.
- Suitable for tackling the large size of moles.
- Strong structure.
- Reusable mole trap.
- The settings are a little tricky.
4. Victor Out O’Sight Mole Trap 0631 – Reusable and Weather Resistant
Here is another best mole eliminator trap that can catch moles very successfully. The Victor Out O Sight Mole Trap is a very efficient mole for outdoor use. You don’t need to use any chemicals, poison, or bait to catch the mole. The setup of the trap is the main reason for successes.
This Victor mole trap features malleable iron jaws with a safety lever. Once the jaw is open and sets its ready to work. The mole trap 0631 is reusable and comes fully assembled. The trap is suitable for all kinds of soil, even on sandy soil. It’s lightweight and simple in design. The mole trap is equipped with a safety clip for safe and secure operation. The good thing is you get an instruction booklet with some clear illustration that shows how to set, reopen the tunnel.
- No bait required.
- Come fully assembled.
- Include security options.
- Cheap in price.
- The spring is powerful and needs decent strength to set.
5. Underground Exterminator Mole and Gopher Killer
If you don’t like the idea of killing moles brutally, then you will love our next mole trap. The Underground Exterminator Mole and Gopher Killer kill critters within a few mins without any pain. Because it uses pressurized carbon monoxide fumes that mix into tunnel air and make it toxic. So, when rodents breathe into the air, they die immediately. All you need to find the spots, tunnel where moles, rodents roam mostly and set up the exterminator.
This product uses the fume from your gasoline powered vehicle exhaust pipe. It fits tubes up to 3 inches in diameter.
It is valid on woodchucks, gophers, voles, skunks, ground squirrels, rats, gophers, prairie dogs, and snakes.
- Don’t melt the exhausted pipe.
- Easy to use.
- The connector holds up well to the exhaust heat.
- No hassle of removing the deal mole or cleaning the blood.
- The heat resistant rubber could melt due to overheating.
- Carbon monoxide is a dangerous chemical and needs to handle very carefully.
6. OxGord Live Animal Trap 32″ X 12″ X 12″ Catch Release Humane Rodent Cage
The OxGord live animal trap is an efficient trap to trap small to different big size of critters. You can use it in indoor and outdoor. The size of the trap is 32x12x12 inches and made of high-quality wire mesh and stainless steel. The entire trap is rust resistant and very much sturdy.
The trap is preassembled and delivered flat in a collapsed state. You need to assemble it by pull it opens. There is no other function to setup. That is why the cage is appropriate for most of the people, even for elders.
The trap is more safe and humane option to catch the animal without injuring them. However, once the critter is trapped, tie the doors with a wire before leaving it in the wild. It’s because the doors are not fully locked once the animal gets inside. An angry and robust animal could fight back and manage to run away. So keep that in mind.
- Big size cage for catching small to large critters.
- Durable and weather resistant.
- Convenient for storage and comes preassembled.
- The more humane trap than others.
- Easy to release.
- The release doors are not sturdy enough; thus, they don’t include any safety lock to secure the trap once critter is inside.
7. Victor 0625 the Black Box Gopher Trap
If you often see gopher/mole holes popping up in your yard, then it’s time to get an efficient trap to get rid of it. The Victor 0625 Black Box Gopher Setup can be a significant part of the paste control system. It kills critter without using any chemical or bait. It’s a chocker loop-style mole trap. You can use it in any soil and also it’s weather resistant as well. The trap originates completely accumulated and also has the illustrated instructions on setting and placements.
- Work efficiently.
- Weather resistant plastic stays new for a long time.
- Suable on any soil.
- Easy to store and carry.
- Dumping the dead animal from the trap is kind of nasty!
- Need to dig the soil to set.
8. Cinch Mole Trap with Tunnel Marking Flag
For having an efficient, eco-friendly solution, you can have the since mole trap. This is an all-purpose serve rodent trap work for moles, gophers and another kind of rodents. The trap uses a clincher system to trap the mole. Comparison to other this trap is a more humane technique of catching moles, gophers in the cinch snaps and closed around the neck instantly and ringlets them in for mess-free usage.
The trap is made of galvanized steel and made by following USA standards. It’s suitable to use on any type of lawn or outdoor area and any weather. Relationships to chemical traps this one is far better and let you re-buried the moles in their holes and reapply it to others.
- Suitable for different types of rodent.
- Does not kill the animal brutally.
- Reusable for many years.
- Comes with flags to make the mark.
- Need to dig up the trap quite a long.
- Feels little tricky to set on the first attempt.
9. Wildlife Control Supplies No-Mol Mole Trap- 4 Pack
If you want a try a simple mole trap for the first time, this one will be best to have. The Nomol trap comes with four packs of traps and four wooden stakes in one package to catch unwanted moles. The assembly process of it is straightforward so young to elder anyone can use it. You can use it any soil in your backyards and gardens. It sits underground entirely and makes them difficult to spot.
Another good thing is, the trap is very compact and lightweight. So, you can keep it in storage easily or carry without stress. However, the trap allows for placement in tanner’s that intersect the odd angles that often happens on mole extermination.
- Simple process to set.
- Rust-resistant plates.
- Made for sit below ground moles tunnel efficiently.
- Includes easy construction to understand it better.
- Need to unearth the trap to check them every time.
What is Mole Trap?
Mole trap could be a complicated or straightforward trap for catch/kill moles. Moles move underground, so, there are fewer things that could catch a live mole in the trap. Other versions which are presently trading are lethal traps which kill the moles instantly.
The first one uses different techniques, like bait, smell, or set up to catch the mole. And the other types are use spikes, blades, poison, and other chemicals to kill it.
Types of Mole Traps
Nowadays, many types of moles traps are available worldwide. Here we are going to break down three major types that often found and work well. Have a look below.
- Spear Trap
The trap needs to set the spear trap on top, squishing the tunnel down with the trigger pan against the soil. You have found an active tunnel on the ground. Once, the mole sneak over the tunnel, it will up trigger pan and cause the spears to slam downward impair the mole and execute it.
- Scissor Trap
This trap includes scissor blades which stay deep in the yard, each side of the tunnel. Once the animal crawls through the tunnel, it triggers the trap, and the blades snap together, and apparently, it dies.
- Paper Clip Trap
This trap set down inside the tunnel back to back each facing outward. When, the critter crawl on the tunnel from the opposite direction, the trap hit the pin holding the paper clip trap open causing the pin to slip and trap to slam shut on it and kills it.
- Claw Trap
The claw trap design traps are pretty old school and easy to set. The legs are not welded to handles to sometimes there is a mismatch of response and action between handles and lags. The success rate of the claw rate is extremely low. The problem with the trap is the way the setting ring is attached to the trap and legs/handles are sometimes effortless to escape to the critters.
- Fen Mole Trap
This is also known as Yorkshire pattern scissor trap. The legs of the trap stay wide open when you plant it on the tunnel sometimes you need to open the legs and handle to adjust. It looks full in the picture but not in reality. Small moles are caught easily on the mole.
This metal trap needs to digging up and fully covered so light cannot reach entire from anywhere. Two traps are required to catch the moles here. You need to check them once in two days by uncovering the soil. The design is very impractical, though.
Many people are fond of this trap even though they don’t have much knowledge to set this up. The proper method is you need to put soil in the mole tunnel under the trap, so the mole pushes through the soil and triggers the trap. The spring of the handle is exceptionally tight, which need to handle carefully. If the spring is loose, it won’t work. The catching rate of the traps is 100%.
- Easy Set Trap
This is a simple plant trap with a lever. The lever pushed down, and the trap is set. Find an active mole tunnel and place it where no light could come off.
There another type of easy trap which comes with thick legs and thin center spikes. The spikes are set high over a raised shallow mole run. The trap is triggered when the mole returns, pushing up a built mole run and release the spring. As a result, the spikes are inserting on the bottom rapidly. You can set it below ground level.
How to Do Mole Traps Work
How to Trap Moles or how to do mole traps work- that is the first question when you see you are garden/yard is big mess overnight. Mole traps that work depend on various factors. Like the size, workability and the soil types, etc. live mole traps are less efficient than the killer one. You have to wait long for the result in this case.
Mole trap works best on the center of the tunnel which called ‘parlor.’ The parlor is dug on the new tunnel outward as like the spikes of a wheel. Like if you need multiple holes on a yard, to observe the main center by pointing out the location and distance of the holes or a pile of soil. Mole leaves the dirt mounds on the lawn. Use a mole trap, avoiding the piles. You can use homemade mole traps as well with the store-bought traps.
Knowing the tunnels exertion is important. These underground creatures made two types of runways, which are called mole tunnels. These are deep and sub-surface runways.
Also, moles create a vast and extensive range of underground tunnels to search out worms, insects, etc. that make nest or living space in the subway or around it.
How to Choose the Best Mole Traps
Many aspects are responsible for choosing a perfect mole trap. The types are essential that we explain earlier. The other things that you need to know on how to select the right mole traps given below.
- Features of the trap are essential. Look for the well-made trap that has welded handles, legs, springs, etc.
- Looking for the instruction. Read the full instruction of the trap to know about it all. Many traps are not suitable to use in particular area or species of moles. So, see the type of mole in your area and find if the trap is appropriate to use or not.
- Wider handles/legs are better. Those traps with large or fuller handle give more space to trap a bigger critter.
- A branded, top-rated or easy mole trap is worth trying. The price is less matter here. Many cheap traps are handy for catching moles. So don’t always judge by the price.
How to Set Mole Traps
Set up the mole traps is easy once you know what category you have bought how they work. Here are some suggestions that you could follow to set your mole trap.
- Get the Right Tools
You will need a thin probe, trowel with the trap. Also, you may need a long screwdriver to set the trap.
- Set the Trap in Mole Hills
Look for molehills where they live that usually connect with the main run with side tunnels. Mole uses a central shaft and works near it. The brunch tunnels are around 6 inches long. The older molehills are your target. New hills left unattended for a while after digging. They usually revisit the hills couple of weeks after but that can’t tell certainly.
Select the recent hills and figure out the tunnel. The new piles of soil or dots are serially visible on the ground. Set the trap there on their targeting tunnel middle of two collections.
- Dig a Hole
Take a plunger and clear the dirt on the ground. Sooner you can see the tunnel. Firm the tunnel floor to avoid the mole going under the trap.
- Set the Mole Trap
Set the trap in the hole, so the trigger ring is across the run and four-third inches up the tunnel floor. To get the measurement correct, you may add/remove soil from the floor. Make sure to firm the level of the soil again because the trigger is very dangerous and sensitive here.
- Choosing a Good Time
Many experts suggest that early spring and early fall are the best suitable times for catching moles. During this time, there are more active and need to find food to survive.
- Final Prepares
Replace the turf over the hole so it won’t stop the handles from opening fully after triggers. Cover the area with soil and grass carefully, so they don’t go on the tunnel. Now it’s time for waiting for the result.
Check this video below to learn “How to Set Victor Out O Sight Mole Trap”
Safety Points to Consider while Setting Mole Traps
Follow the things given below to make sure you use the mole traps will maximum success. Have a look below.
- Before starting to set up the mole, make your comprehensive research complete. Read the instruction guides, check the video tutorial available on the internet, and consider the customer reviews also to learn how to the mole trap.
- When going to dig the holes and set up the trap, wear a garden glove. It will stay away from your human smell away from the trap. Also, you can rub the dirt on the hand to reduce the smell of your body.
- The moles notice less there are changes in their pre-made tunnels or any strange smell.
- Use the baits if possible to see the difference if there are zero results on non-casing trap gentle traps too.
- A mole could spread disease also. Wear gloves to reduce the dead mole from the trap.
- Check the trap once in two/three days if there is anything. If not re-set the trap and wait for it.
In the end, we can say not all traps are workable for every molex and the areas. It’s possible you need to try some traps for not getting the result you want. But that is ok. If you have a large area, buy 3-5 traps at a time to set up in different places.
Multiples traps have a high rate of attainment to reduce the number of moles. But the success rate is also depending on how you are setting up the entire trap.
Follow the instruction for each set of traps. You can also check the related YouTube videos to under more about the setting of your best mole trap.